Saturday, September 13, 2008

promising project upate

So yesterday I went to the Musoma Regional Library to talk to the head librarian about my project. Deus helped with the translating and the whole thing went really well. The idea is still to sponsor 100 secondary school (its about the equivalent of high school) students to get a library membership of course targeting those who cannot afford to do so. The man we spoke to also really urged us to sponsor girls, the library records for the day before we came showed 250 boys visiting and only 50 girls. Also he urged that we sponsor kids from newly built schools, some built for political reasons, that are horribly ill-equipped without books, desks, teachers etc. I'm hopping next week I can start searching for the schools that will be involved and start talking. Which means now is the time to really raise money. The fee to become a member is 2,000 Tsh. (I just checked online and 1 USD is 1,152Tsh), but theres also the cost of the two passport sized photos needed to make your ID card (the library system isn't computerized). I haven't done the math just yet but it should all be under 500 USD and my dad has already promised 100. Of course any amount we can raise would be wonderful because a) I don't want to cut the number off at 100 if theres more interest, these are people not numbers, and b) the library has a shortage of chairs and tables, leaving some to sit on the ground. Anything that anyone reading this can give, literally anything, would be very much appreciated and could be mailed to the address listed before in my blog:
P.O. Box 989
Musoma, TZ
East Africa



Asante Sana,
Steph

No comments: