Thursday, September 18, 2008

a new mzungu!

So Deus's friend Kate from California came yesterday. She's like 20 something and somehow manages to look impeccable always despite the "conditions". She's definitely a lot more agreeable than the last group of kids. She likes to bitch about money, and her ex-boyfriends and she put off college after High School and didn't even really like high school - an idea completely foreign to the San Diego kids but something that works well for me. Also yesterday when we met she told me the story of her deep fear of the cheesy kids movie Witches and how when she saw the lead actress in the movie walking on the beach she flipped out because it was the witch in person, which is all really strange but likeably human. I'm trying to teach her a little Swahili which is fun, it makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about even if I don't. Also she said when I'm on my way out of the country (I'm planning on snaking around and seeing some things while making my way to the Dar Airport) to stop in Arusha where shes going to be working and we can hang out for a few days so thats cool.
Still haven't gone to Serengeti yet. Things keep getting put off. Tonight we're going swimming though apparently. Deus has some rich friend with a swimming pool and he's going with us to Serengeti and I think he wants to stay in a hotel, assuming he's paying, its about 200 per night inside the park, that sounds awesome.
Today we went to Mara River and the Nyerere Museum. I cannot pronounce that mans name for the life of me. Deus's friend went with us and I let him borrow my iPod for the ride. I thought he didn't know how to use it so I kept just picking songs for him, the Sean Paul I have, the one Mac Dre song I have, Tupac, etc. Finally I just left him alone with it and I came back and he was listening to Wooden Wand and ThreeBerry Icecream and really into it. Oh the things you see.

No comments: