Wednesday, September 24, 2008

happy happy joy joy

things are going great for my project. I should check my email less often, I have a lot more good news to come to when I do. So far we have raised 350 USD, which is almost all of what we need. I will sit down and talk to Deus today about visiting the schools soon - before he starts filming with Discovery Channel next week and gets all busy.
Yesterday started off pretty cool. I went with Kosovo to the village to meet his family. The village is SO far from here. We walked part of the way and then took a bicycle lift part of the way but it took about an hour, longer on the return when we walked about half of it. The village is really pretty and its so high up you get a wonderful view of the lake. I sat around and peeled cassava roots, listened to the radio, visited a few schools just to see them, etc etc. I also met this kid who had crashed his bike really bad. He was all cut up and couldn't talk well, because I think it hurt him. He reached out and started playing with my hair when I wasn't looking and then couldn't speak well enough to explain himself. He had the WORST tattoos I've ever seen. I'll just explain the chest piece to give you the general idea: a homemade stick and poke of a side profile, naked girl with square boobs with a palm tree that looks like its coming out of her foot and a sun in the back ground thats coming out of a book or a bird or something, like one of the birds kids draw thats just a M really. All blotchy and so on. That kid was a wreck.
This is really a week for crashes. I've decided the main hazard in Tanzania is definitely its traffic. Deus's cousin was riding his bike, drunk as always, the other day when he got hit by a truck. He is surprisingly not that hurt but he does keep complaining that his wrist hurts him. Then Deus's friend was in a motorcycle accident yesterday and in horrible condition. On top of all that Bibi was crossing the road yesterday after buying spices and a motorcycle hit her and knocked her down. She's already been complaining about her legs, osteoporosis, I'd guess and now they're just worse. We took her to the hospital, a place that like other old people shes very afraid of, bribed the nurses to look after her and left. We're bringing her back again today though. I'm not sure if they've done that yet because I've been out running errins today, getting my library ID, internet, buying Deus's sister some good face wash and lotion because she always complains about her acne and she showed the lotion shes using and its for extra dry legs. yuck.
We didn't end up going to Serengetti. It seems Ifan had a crush on Kate and Kate didn't have a crush on Ifan and suddenly Ifan had guests show up and couldn't go but then no one actually saw the guests and he went to the beach all day. Actually thats kind of inferring somethings, it could have been that he didn't want to pay for it all or he really did have guests, thats just my take of things. Serengetti when? not sure yet, haven't sat down and talked to Deus in way too long. First I need to convince him not to come to Arusha with me when I return for the airport, I invested my heart in having a few weeks of just traveling alone and now hes saying he has an obligation to my parents to come with me. Not so fast! I'm not even going to bother asking my parents permission, I think he'll be talked out of it, hopefully.

No comments: