Friday, July 25, 2008

photos!

the ugly trash eating bird, really very terrifying when they fly around above your head

a much prettier bird, i think my aunt jane would love tanzania, so many amazing birds
something i was attracted to naturally, why is there always hanging barbies in third world countries i go to?
mama and baby baboon, baboons are really quite characters and their young get a lift by hanging onto the moms rump

bibi sleeping outside in the afternoon

me meandering about, this is between the houses where all the cooking is done and most of the day is spent
from the left deus's aunt elizabeth, me elizabeths daughter Dia, Simon, Kosovo (nickname) his cousins, then in the first row from the left his cousin also elizabeth, and two people who i dont know but happened to be around that day, the girl in the red also has one child named stanley, very cute
my behind down at the shoreline right before we ran into the theif
notice the elephant?! my first "safari" as americans know the word
me and Dia! she quite likes me but maybe because I am a strange muzungu and also a pushover

certainly theres lots more but for now they'll sit on my photobucket and rot. some bad events lately, a fire next door to Deus's bibis broke out while we were having ugali for lunch, everyone in town ran over and a man emerged bleeding from the head who proceeded to scream at and taunt the firemen for arriving so late, the firemen then sprayed him down with the hose, getting quite a few other people wet and starting a little stampede i got caught up in. who thought that was the kind of stampede i'd see in afrika.. also Deus's aunt is still sick and still pregnant, all yesterday she threw up and cried and eventually we all went to the hospital but i couldn't pick up what was wrong because my swahili isn't good enough but it isn't just malaria anymore. i met with my swahili teacher today and i like her so much, compared to the first guy i met with who's every other word was "isn't it?" like "Deus nows where my office is, isn't it?" or every word he wrote on the board, "now this is mambo isn't it? and it means hello isn't it?" and id just go mhmm.. and he'd say "no say yes" so im going yes yes yes yesyeyssyes getting absolutely stressed out and left after one day with quite a bit of guilt as he told me he fasted the day before so that he might help me through god to help others in america know swahili. dear god. tomorrow we are starting our safari to kigome and GOMBE!!! how exciting, although expensive, but it means i get to get up close and personal with chimps. and its a good break from the stress of decieding how i want to do my volunteer work!!! what will be effective, what am i comfortable with, what do i really want to do???? god.
oh and a light bulb moment i had the other day... im not staying for six months.. but FOUR. i never actually sat down and counted, ha! somehow the knowledge improved my mood greatly and i have been enjoying my trip lately. i feel certain at the moment that i will remain throughout the whole time although i still hope smitty visits me
enough for now
baadaye

No comments: