Monday, July 14, 2008

the long safari

so the trip that was to take 14 hours... took 31. the bus ride was quite crazy, some hightlights: the back of the bus went so fast over the big bumps and holes in the road that something happened with our back axle and we had to stop and repair it, actually we bumped so much i almost sporadically started crying, i was at the second to last row and every few seconds the bus driver would go over a bump and everyone would fly into the air and then come down really hard on their butt and then do it over and over again, my tailbone hurt very bad and when i finally got to stand up my butt felt like it was reinflating, then there was a big fight over a girl and these two men pushing each other around into everyone and a old woman hitting someone on the head with a water bottle, there was lots of crying babies and one very fat man directly behind me who was quite ill and passed out and drolled allover his face and neck and was very sweaty and pee'd his pants and had a fever and it took about 20 minutes to wake him up. then there was apparently a new law that went into effect the day before we traveled that buses couldn't run after midnight so we had to sleep in the bus in a very small town. African Texas Chainsaw Massacre style. there was one creepy Arab guy who kept staring at me at dinner and walking past slowly. then i had a very genious idea to put the hood of my coat on the head of the seat in front of me and my arms in the sleeves so it created a little craddle for my head, this worked quite well except i was asleep while we went over lots of bumps and consequently i woke up with really bad rug burn on my forehead. i was also extremely dirty and when i got home last night the water wasn't working nor was the power. we borrowed some water from the neighbors and used the keronsine stove to heat the water though so i took a very nice shower. im reading the biography of Jane Goodall now. I didn't know she was British. I hope Zach hasn't moved because I adressed his letter yesterday. Not much else is new. I'm getting really frustrated with myself for not learning Swahili very fast. I can listen to conversations and understand what is being said sometimes though, but I don't speak enough to be good at all. It's a bad situation because Deus can speak English to me and Swahili for me but I'm hoping he will speak more Swahili to me soon. Plus after these next few weeks I won't be traveling so much and can get a tutor. I ate five of bibis cakes for breakfast. I need to learn how to say, thanks thats enough, very soon. Did I mention all the wild animals I've seen? lion, hippos, zebras, wilderbeast (which Deus cannot say), birds, monkeys, baboons, and elephants. oh and giraffee! i got a good video of the baboons. the babies are very funny, they sit on top of the moms bum with their arms wrapped around the base of her tail and get a ride. Also I talked to a theif. A really crude man. He grabbed my arm outside the hotel I was at while Deus was inside and I was out fetching dinner and he kept talking to me and when I said I was going after he started asking about visiting me in Musoma and California he started saying pretty awful stuff. I know how to say piss off in Swahili but for some reason didn't use it. I am pretty happy that I haven't taken many pictures for some reason.. although I do catch myself saying God that would make an awesome photo in my head a lot. I'm smoking cigarettes which is frustrating. Also I'm getting really mad at Deus because he's always telling me I can't quit. and I'm just like, SHUT UP. plus he has this bad habit of coming in and trying to start a long conversation with me as I'm lying down to sleep and of staring at me and not saying anything which just bugs me for some reason. today I am getting a work permit and have to pay the fees. I need to go to the bank now. I'm spending too much money, but just because we have been traveling mainly. more later probably

2 comments:

Shawna said...

pretty fascinating stuff! i liked your descriptions of the people around you. why are you in africa? is it a vacation thing, or school, or just an adventure? stay safe!

stephanie said...

thanks. I'm here traveling and I'm going to start doing some volunteer work this month. I have just finished with High School so it isn't school related. I met someone who lives here so I'm staying with them and doing volunteer work with their organization Roots and Shoots which is part of the Jane Goodall Institute. btw who are you?
stephanie