Friday, July 18, 2008

oh the phone.

i hate Deus's phone. it never leaves his ear. oddly it is not rude here to talk on your phone during a meeting, performance, conversation, while im asleep in bed next to you or throughout an entire meal. its worse than my mom, i never get a word in. ive taken up wearing ear plugs!
on another note yesterday was good. we visited two schools and i had to talk in front of several hundred students which was hard becuase everyone else does their speeches in Swahili so i dont really know what were talking about or what appropriate to say, normally just 'my name is stephanie, im from CA, America. I just finished secondary school so this is my first time travelling. I have been in Tanzania for two weeks. I am a new Roots and Shoots volunteer. thank you for inviting me to your school' needless to say it didnt really excite anyone but at least I didnt get scared about speaking publicly.
none of my mail from my parents has come. sort of worrisome. neither has an email from Jody who i really need to help me with the drug and alcohal program I'm hoping to start soon.
the program will look like this: we are going to find 20 kids, who are out of school and work and using drugs and offer them chances to do work or school or learn skills and ways to keep them busy and hold meetings with all of them, basically counseling where I can pull out what knowledge I have about drug and alcohal counseling (bargaining, triggers, etc). I dont know how well it will work and I need some help. especially in understanding the drug problem and culture here.....
we went to this theater group thing yesterday, it was taking place in a dusty dirt floored luthern church and all these people would put on two person dramas about AIDS or discrimmination abuse etc, very dramatic, lots of fake crying but i thought it was good. it helped that this woman sat by my side and translated for me. I thought it was a cool group though. the kids were really good actors from what i could tell. i got some pictures with them and lots of videos. some of them rapped or sang after and these two guys even did a sparring match in karate and backflips and stuff... pretty cool. i got a video of most of that.
other than that ive been a little homesick, having very crazy dreams and according to several people sleep talking quite a bit which is new.. and annoying. but what can you do

No comments: