Tuesday, October 7, 2008

learning patterns

the psychologists in my family might appreciate this: I picked up on a learning experience in real life the other day, (i'm writing to fast to think of correct termonology, not to mention really mind-droning music is playing)... you see theres this cultural (and practical) thing here that you don't except gifts with the left hand (the left hand is the hand you wipe with and therefore viewed and dirty and never eaten or shaken with). Of course in three months its pretty hard to learn that this once previously neutral extremity of your body is suddenly offensive. So every morning when my Bibi hands me a vitumbua to eat and I'm sitting with the left side of my body closer to her then the right I automactially take it with the left hand. But I learned to do otherwise in less then three days. the first day I took it with the left hand and immediatly remembered afterwards, with the help of Bibis glare. The second day I took it with the left hand, and right after a child tried to take one with their left hand and she yelled at them and scolded them, so I observed the action. The third day I started with my left hand and then switched to the right just before taking it. the fourth I took it with the right. So I was never negatively effected by taking it with my left hand but I still learned through observation and things not said. There you go scientists, analyze all you want.
I just got a wonderful email from Priscilla. I love when people give me information about all the people I've forgotten about/ probably don't care about.. it gives me that mixed and gushy sense of home.
I'm taking my turn at being really poor this week, I don't want to take money out of the bank so I'm just waiting for Deus to repay me some money he's borrowed... I found six dollars in my pocket today which is why I was able to write this to you at all.
Also, not that I think anyone was planning on it, but I wouldn't recommend sending any letters now, they take so long i'lll be gone before they get here.
I'm giong now to see if I've gotten permission to visit the local schools and find students for my Library Project. Deus is saying I need to make some sort of report to show everyone who donated exactly what they're getting so I need to start working on that. Also the people from the Discovery Channel are arriving today to do work... sort of exciting.

1 comment:

. said...

Stephanie -
I miss you and so does miguel and all of buchon. preston too.

i'm sorry i didn't get to say bye to you before you left. i'm also sorry that i haven't talked to you until now.

Anyway, i hope you are dancing lots and lots under the hot African sun.

bring back lots of stories. I have some to share with you too.

we have lots to do when you come back home.

love - rodi