Tuesday, October 14, 2008

i heard on the news people are dying in LA

I thought I'd try out a bit of irony.
although I did really hear that on the news... it appears the place turned into an inferno or something.
And it turns out they aren't dying here. After I wrote about Tarime I actually looked it up online. The story goes like this, when I was in Kigoma there was this MP (kind of like a congressman) from the minority party that was killed in a very suspicious car accident. His family and I'm sure others suspected foul play. This week it was time for the election to replace him and people were getting really into it. I've seen a few people go up to Tarime to get their family members out of there. Lots of police with water houses and at least 100 people hurt in fights, but no actual deaths. Amerika apparently sent some people in to keep an eye on the situation. Anyways the opposition party (i.e. minority) won the election. (this countrys only ever had 4 presidents, since the 1960s when they got independence and they've all been from one party). So yesterday there was lots of flag waving and people yelling at police cars and harrasing people at the newspaper stands where all the Tarime news could be had. It was a nice feeling in the air once I realized noone was actually dying and people were actually pumped about something like a congressman when most people in the US couldn't even name theirs.
Also I visited to schools yesterday for the project and it went wonderfully. The first school said to return Thursday and they'll have the list of girls (we're taking 20 from 5 seperate schools) and the next school said they'll call us when they have the list. I would have gone today but its a holiday (it turns out siku kuu doesn't mean the last day of Ramaddon, it just means holiday, unless its the last day of Rammadon again. did anyone notice I spelled that two dif. ways?...) Anyways tomorrow we are going to the last three schools. I've been visiting the schools with this teacher woman Juliana and I started noticing she was paying for everything but as far as i knew she wasn't getting anything out of helping me so I went to talk to Deus when I got back. As Deus put it, shes taking over the project when I leave and........ he told her we're going to pay her 50 dollars a month! Where in the world am I going to get 50 dollars a month!?!??!. Deus brought this up before that we needed to pay the volunteer who would be checking the library records and reporting to me and I said we absolutely couldn't pay someone 50 dollars a month and I'd like to find a volunteer, so what does he do, he tells someone we're paying them 50 a month and fails to even mention it to me!!!!!!! I don't even know where to get the money for this month. Deus says he's going to give me the contacts for a girl scout troup in, oh dear I forget where, Nebraska or something who will help fund this program, and he better because he got me into a mess without even letting me know I was in the middle of it. He's such a wonderful procrastinator though, he couldn't come to the internet this morning/afternoon to give me their email because the sun was too hot and he was watching TV and he couldn't come now because he's going to go walk around town. If he doesn't come tomorrow I'll have to slap him again,... which is another story, of high school epic drama proportions I won't even get into. Lets just say someone got a little (lot) butt-hurt during a play fight that turned sour.
and its not me.
dear I hope this blog doesn't become a problem as my project becomes more proffesional or what have you... like people start reading it and realize I'm not really even sure what I'm doing with this project and like my mom said, most people who do this have been to college. Right now I just want it done and over with because I back out of stuff I want to do so much it will be great to prove to myself I can do this.
enough said.

No comments: