Thursday, August 21, 2008

watoto after my own heart

so i was woken at 6 this morning to go for a pre-dawn run with my friend G. Of course he's more fit then me so the whole affair was a little lopsided. At one point he even tried to give me a piggy-back ride I was so out of breath. I refused the offer. He also lent me a Swahili dictionary with some grammar so once I finish here and the bank i'll be studying today.
After my run I returned to lay in bed and complain about my tired legs to a sleeping Ngoro. in the other room Ngoros mother had a guest who was talking about Deus, and I was able to make out her saying 'Deus came with a muzungu" and Ngoros child Chausiku said "nuh-uh, Deus came with Shangazi Auntie Stephanie"
how damn cute. someone recognizes i'm a human being a not a big lump of american wrapped in white skin.
as for the whole muzungu word, it has officially gotten old. And since i'm deus-less the men of this town seem to think this muzungu is on the market. ngoro told me several men have been stoppping by the shop to try and talk to me. one potential suiter has gone so far to buy me a phone card so that i can call him and keeps inviting me to the bar and the beach... uhhh no.

1 comment:

. said...

woah! i can't believe that i forgot that you were writing a blog. i'm so glad that i stumbled upon it. i just read the whole thing, and it's great to hear that you are feeling comfortable where you are now. i can't wait to hear more!
-willie