Monday, August 4, 2008

chick in the choo

so today is Monday. despite whatever the heading says because I think its on California time. I've been Deus-less for a few days now and my Swahili is the better for it. I even managed to tell my host that I wanted to wash my underwear today, and managed to make it clear that I meant me wash personally.. which I did although they're all a bit soapy because I'm not sure exactly what I was supposed to do with all those buckets of water.
My stomach is still a problem. Basically whenever I eat it feels like a mix between gas pain, heartburn, hunger and someone balling up my insides with their fist and squeezing. My stomach hurt last night and I had some really crazy nightmares so I didn't sleep all too well. I'm thinking I'll go to the pharmacy and look for some vitamin C or Iron or protein or B vitamins.. I'm not really sure what I need although B vitamins are a good guess.
The last two days have been really new-experience-filled. Me and Ngoro went to a wedding in the village. A Muslim ceremony. The bride wore pink and didn't smile the whole time and I honestly don't even know who was the groom. I got a lot of photos of the wedding, which is something I don't normally do and a few short videos and the one photographer for the wedding got four (!) pictures of me. He clearly wasn't really a photographer though because the first picture he took he still had the lens cap on so good luck for any of his turning out.
We went to the village the day before the wedding. That night there was probably 30 kids drumming and singing. There would be maybe 2 or 3 drumming in the middle and they would make up a really short song and then everyone would dance in a circle around them, going round and round like a whirlpool and sing the little song over and over until someone made up a new one. I decided not to dance because I already had the whole place watching me while I was just standing but it was still fun.
We sleep at Deus's real Bibis home in the village. The bed was really really small as was the net which pretty humorous. "kitanda kidogo, neti kidogo". The toilet there was a really deep hole, maybe 20 feet, in the ground and somehow one little chick happened to fall in so you could hear him peeping down there. I even saw him once when i stuck my flashlight in the hole. I imagined he could feed and live just fine and he would grow up down there but then the next day I didn't hear him peep once. I fear the worst.
After the wedding we took one of the most crowded dala-dalas I have ever been on back to town. Me and Ngoro climbed the mango tree in the front yard in our fancy wedding dresses and ate bitter mangoes in the sun. All the kids started climbing up after us and lots of ants crawled on my feet. I was really happy.

1 comment:

Areli! said...

stephanie
i am jealous
my email adress in areliii@hotmail.com
i got one of these stupid blog things but i can barely use it, haha
i miss you
and igot your letter yesterday at elven when i got home from work!!!!!