Wednesday, November 5, 2008

parts one and two

Okay so the whole idea of stopping a blog about a trip before the trip was actually over thinking that this would somehow enhance my enjoyment of the trip more was a little stupid.
half the news of today of course doesn't come from Afrika but from Amerika and my feeling a little melancoloy that i was on this particular continent for the month of November, missing both my moms huge birthday party and todays (or is it yesterday there?) election. By the time the election wrapped up it here it was 6 a.m. When I left to take a bucket shower Obama was at 207 and when I came back and they were broadcasting a win I actually didn't believe it. I mean the news shows have called it wrong before and ive only lived long enough to hold interest in two elections and one of them just so happened to be one where they called it wrong. my brains not doing well with consiceness right now. I realize that torwards the end i got unreasonably stubborn. If people asked who i liked here i regretted those who nothing about the candidates but all supported Obama for his African background so I said I didn't like either of them and that they were infact very similiar. I half believe it too. I was pretty avid for Obama in the beginning but then he moved all center on me and I'm damn hopeless libral and frankly i thought it was lame. Plus who likes feeling like they're being coined by someone whos just a smooth talker. I was so stubborn I didn't vote. Actually okay I dont know if I could, it would have taken extra effort but the point is I didnt. But then I watched Obama win today, and I watched him talk, which is something I rarely do because I mainly just read the news and I must felt a surge of happiness almost almost comparable to that floaty feeling I got when I realized I was rid of high school for the rest of my life. That fact and that we now have a black president are two facts I'm still not used to or sure what to make of. That being said, except getting to watch a really good speaker more often, and our world image going up, I dont really much change, at all.
Also in politics I heard the name Al Franken brought up this morning which was totally unpredicatable as last week in Mwanza I bought his book "Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat, idiot" for two dollars. I could do a lot of apologizing for buying a book with such a stupid name but I'm going to say it was slightly funny if outdated and tedious and at least my mom will really like it. I read today that they're actually doing a recount in his election.
Also I still dont know the outcome of prop 8! and whether my parents ever voted for me on that. someone send me the memo once its out whats happening with that.
To top of this day me and Deus, mkali and odanga all went to serengetti. It cost me a little under three hundred dollars for about 8 hours of my life, which is a fact I hope I never repeat to myself again because it is so utterly devastating to my mental health. I saw all sorts of things. Scary bugs that make you puff up, hippos playing, a lion clutching a tree during a nap, wildebeast, scores of zebra. It wasn't worth that much money. I'll tell you that. but it was cool and i would have regretted it had I not done it. Parts of it were like a tug of war, it seemed like we got there and Deus and everyone was ready to turn around and im like, do you have any idea how much this cost me, i plan to stay here til this place closes. Deus can be a brick wall sometimes, or pesky mosquito... "okay okay were not going yet, but look rains coming.. and this is a horrible road and do you know how far back the gate is and look how much gas there is and blah blah blah." They tell me im a difficult person, but ... okay maybe thats just true.
I was a guest of honor at something at the library yesterday and mangoes are back in season. my mom sent me an email that said "I have planned your Xmas present trip. It will be before Christmas, on the 12th -15th of December, it involves a road trip and hiking in a beautiful spot during a full moon period, I think you are going to love it."
I think I am going to love it.
but I also think the internet cafe is closing and I'm falling asleep. See everyone in just a few days and dont be suprised if im all overly excited and jumpy and a bit weepy because im damn homesick.
steph

No comments: